15 November 2016 No XIII-9
The Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania,
seeking to promote peace, stability, democracy, human rights and welfare in Lithuania, the Baltic region, Europe and in the entire world;
ensuring the consistency and continuity of the foreign, security and defence policy of the Republic of Lithuania in 2016-2020;
emphasizing that the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, the President of the Republic and the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, together with the parliamentary political parties, agree on the national strategic goals of the foreign, security and defence policy and adhere to the tradition of the national foreign, security and defence policy based on common consensus;
noting the importance of the Accord between the Political Parties Represented in the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania on Strategic Guidelines for the Foreign, Security and Defence Policy of the Republic of Lithuania for 2014-2020,
1) to fulfil in 2018 the commitment to NATO to allocate two percent of the country's GDP for national defence, assuming responsibility for the security of the State of Lithuania and its citizens and thus ensuring the implementation of the North Atlantic Treaty;
2) to ensure an integrated approach to Lithuania's security and defence by strengthening not only the conventional (military) security, but also information, cyber, economic, energy, infrastructure and other forms of security of Lithuania;
3) to enhance Euroatlantic cooperation and integration in the EU, seeking solidarity of the EU Member States and supporting the goals of the Eastern Partnership policy;
4) to bring the negotiations with the OECD to a successful close with the Republic of Lithuania becoming its member;
5) to strengthen the relations of the Republic of Lithuania with the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Northern Europe and other democracies;
6) to fulfil the obligations of the Republic of Lithuania to international organisations and to represent the interests of the Republic of Lithuania and its citizens therein;
7) to develop relations with Lithuanians living abroad and to encourage their involvement in the promotion of Lithuania's welfare and ensuring of the country's security.
The Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, acting in compliance with the Constitution of the Republic of Lithuania, will seek to strengthen close cooperation of the institutions responsible for the formulation and implementation of the foreign, security and defence policy, stressing that in the current geopolitical situation these policy areas are inseparable.
Speaker of the Seimas Viktoras Pranckietis